Natural sleep remedies
Safe alternatives to sleeping pills may improve sleep without the risks, in a study of a revolutionary published in February 2012, researchers at Scripps have found a link between sleep medications and an increased risk of premature death by cancer or other serious diseases.
"Obese patients appear particularly vulnerable, perhaps through interaction with sleep apnea," says co-author Daniel Kripke, MD, a psychiatrist of Viterbi Family Sleep Center at Scripps Clinic in San Diego, noting that the sleeping pills have been associated with longer and longer pauses in breathing in people with sleep apnea. In addition, in patients who have received medication for sleep, the men were two times more likely to die than women, after taking into account other factors.
The findings of the study have been widely reported in the media, leaving many patients who have difficulties to sleep lost on the best way to have a sleep over for sure.
There are several ways that the non-pharmaceuticals to achieve a restful sleep without the use of medication, working with the natural circadian rhythms that regulate cycles of sleep and waking.
1-Reduce the time spent in bed
Many adults don't really need eight hours of sleep per night, studies at the centre for sleep show that most adults are not really asleep between six and seven hours per night. If you find that you can sleep between five and seven hours per night and feel well rested, don't try to sleep more than that. Enjoy those extra hours of sleep.
2-Keep a sleep schedule consistent
Once you find out your optimal amount of sleep, do your best to go to bed and get up at the same time each day, and do not try to catch up on sleep "lost" by staying in bed later on the weekend. That night at the clock, the body's natural and makes it more difficult to sleep the next night.
3-Don't go to bed if you are not sleepy
Lie awake and try to fall asleep when you're not tired can create a loop of self-reinforcing by creating a frustration which will make it more difficult to find the sleep. If you're not tired at bedtime normal, try a relaxation structured. If you wake up in the middle of the night, leave your bed and don't come back until you're tired.
4-Your bedroom should be supportive and comfortable
- -Make sure that your mattress and pillows are comfortable and offer good support. You spend nearly one-third of your life lying down on the bed, so it is well worth the money to invest in a good and comfortable mattress.
- Make sure that your pillow cases and sheets are clean.
- Your room should have good ventilation and should be at a comfortable temperature.
- The plants improve the air quality, so you might want to consider placing them in your bedroom.
- You can also consider using an air purifier (avoid noisy).
- Do you sleep on the side? If you do, put a pillow between your legs and place the other between your arms ? It can help to improve your sleep posture.
- Noise can disturb sleep, eliminate noisy equipment and gadgets from your bedroom, including clocks, noisy.
- In order to really promote good sleep, make sure that you sleep in total darkness. This stimulates the production of a very important hormone, melatonin, which regulates your sleep-wake cycles.
5-Healthy habits may help you sleep at night
- Physical exercise during the day can help you sleep better at night.
- Another way to improve its regulation of the sleep-wake cycles is to ensure you get some natural light (sunlight) to the outside during the day.
- Drink plenty of water during the day.
6-Your stomach should not be full with foods and liquids when you go to bed
- Eating too much just before bedtime is a big problem. Your body will have trouble digesting all that food instead of concentrating on its core functions during the sleep – repair, healing and rejuvenation.
- In the same vein, you should avoid eating fatty and other heavy foods at night.
- Drinking too many liquids just before going to bed is also not recommended, which will require you to get up to go to the toilet in the middle of the night and disturb your sleep. Try to go to the toilet before retiring to your bed.
7-You must avoid stimulation close to bedtime
- Avoid stimulating activities such as exercising or watching television just before you go to bed.
- Shows horror or other media that are interfering with your mental, should be avoided.
- Loud music or the stimulation must be avoided as well.
- The taking of stimulants physical too close to bedtime is not a good idea. These include caffeine (coffee drinking, tea or cocoa), nicotine (tobacco) and alcohol.
- Stimulating activities emotionally, as a conversation, passionate and heated, too close to the hour of sleep can disrupt your ability to rest easy.
- The mental activities excessive or stressful, an effort to solve a problem, may disturb your sleep.
8-Relax your mind and body before sleep
Try to take a hot bath just before going to bed. You can also try to read a book to relax before going to bed.
9-Use natural remedies to promote better sleep
- You can enjoy a soothing bath and relaxing using herbal oils or essential oils. Pour in the bath oil of lavender, roman chamomile, marjoram, neroli, sandalwood, valerian and vetiver for a more effect
- Via aromatherapy, such as the burning of candles, aromatherapy or heat essential oils, you can give your room a scent is wonderfully soothing.
- Use of herbal remedies natural to improve your sleep. Apple cider vinegar or a cup of warm herbal tea : passion flower, valerian, lemon balm, linden, oat and chamomile are good and could help you to dream.
- Some people use melatonin supplements to help them sleep, to good effect.
- Negative ions can relax you and promote sleep. You can try using an air purifier that emits negative ions, or try to place a carpet of earth.
- Try meditation and deep breathing before sleeping.
If these do not help, see a sleep specialist. Some problems, such as restless legs syndrome and sleep apnea, require a diagnosis and a medical treatment for their root causes. In these cases, the sleeping pills only mask the underlying diseases.
And if all that fails, try the tried and tested technique ... counting sheep! Good, it will do you nothing since it will soon be 6 :00 in the morning so it's time to join your work.....good luck for the following night.
Ok! Seriously, I don't know if you've already heard of the technique EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique), you can find it here.
And to conclude this section on sleep, I'll make you a confession......after the first night spent on this article, I woke up 7 times, add to that a nightmare and what a nightmare, this kind of nightmare that gives you the impression, that it is good you are awake, but oops this is not finished I still am. In any case, this is not the kind of inspiration that I love.